Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Nightmare Before Christmas


I recently acquired the digitally remastered DVD collector's edition of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. It has always been one of my favorite movies, even though it is widely considered a kiddy movie. The basic plot of the movie is that Jack Skellington, who lives in Halloween Town, falls into a tree and ends up in Christmas Town. After exploring Christmas Town, he decides he wants to bring Christmas to Halloween Town. He tries and ends up failing, but it is thanks to Sally, the "woman" who loves him to fix things.
Even though I already own this movie on VHS, it is totally worth it to own the DVD version. First of all, my VHS player hardly works, and secondly, the quality of the sound and picture is greatly improved in the new remastered version. Plus, all of the bonus features in the set make it all more worth the while. If anyone was ever a fan of this movie, they should look into this collector's edition, especially if they don't own the original VHS copy. Learning all about how Tim Burton used stop motion and about the background information on the storyline and the characters really adds to the overall amazingness of this movie. And yes, it is truly amazing so it deserves "amazingness" to be made up for it.

*EDIT*
The music in this movie is also very cheesy, but that only makes it all the better. I never really managed to learn the songs, but i love them nonetheless. My favorite song is for sure the Oogie Boogie Song or the Halloween Town theme song... I can't decide... They're all so good.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember going with Chaska to get this! She wrapped it up too as I recall. Anyways it is totally now a kiddy movie dude I think this is a movie I'll enjoy for the rest of my life (I think a lot of people can say the same). You're forgeting to add how awesomely cheesy the music too this movie is too like the oogie boogie song! How could you leave the music out the movie is part musical everyone's always breaking into a song.

Bryan Perkins said...

After reading this, I might have to go see this movie, the details you included make the movie sound interesting (especially the ones about the director's actions)

Avery said...

I completely forgot about this movie! I agree it's really funny and even though it's cheesy, I still think it's an interesting plot with interesting characters. If I remember correctly, I think Santa Claus in this movie scared me more than Jack did. I don't know if that says something for me or for the movie?

Matt said...

I recently watched this movie over the summer after hearing rave reviews from many of my friends. My friend gave me the Special Edition- and what a treat it was.

This is a great review thats right on the money-but I have to disagree with you on your opinion of the music. Cheesy? No sir, the music is a HUGE part of what made the movie great.

Nonetheless, it's good to know there are other fans of a fantastic movie!

Drew said...

So...this is my favorite animated movie ever. (I'm actually listening to the soundtrack right now.) I especially liked how on the special edition there was a copy of the movie that you could put on your ipod.

Even though the music may not be as sophisticated as that of genius Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, every other disney musical), it serves its purpose to entertain. But I never found it to be cheesy like those of today's ADD High School Musical.

Drew said...

BTW-
my favorite songs are "Jack's Lament" and "What's This"

SarahZZ said...

This is a pretty good movie. I've never been the biggest Tim Burton fan. It's partially because of this movie, actually. When I was young I was super scared of all the characters (especially the old dude in the wheelchair), but now it's ok. Though I still have those memories.

Hunter JJ said...

Frick this movie scared the crap out of me when i was a kid, how can you say its a kiddy movie when oogie boogie was filled with bugs and organs and sewn together in a half-assed way. I had nightmares dude. But I saw it on some random tv channel a while back and it brought back some good memories. Also, Tim Burton is not one of my more favorite directors. The Corpse Bride sucked.

danz said...

haha i'm gonna side with Hunter on this one. I agree that it's a weird, but charming movie and that the corpse bride totally sucked. But other than that Burton is a decent director. You gotta love the man's style!

Sk3tches said...

The nightmare before christmas is the most amazing movie ever, Great music, great everything!.......most dominant movie.....just cant say that enough

Hannah said...

This is probably one of the best movies of all time!!! The songs are cheesy but they are chessily amazing!! The movie wouldn't be the same with out it, very good review and this is one of tim burton's best!!