Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Very Good Unit with Some Iffy Stuff













The last Romantic Comedy/Screwball Comedy unit was definitely my favorite unit so far. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind was a really good movie in my opinion. It was kind of confusing, but I like movies that make me think about things that I would not normally think about. Eternal Sunshine is now actually one of my favorite movies. I've never seen anything quite like it, and I really liked it.
On the other hand, His Girl Friday is definitely not one of my favorite movies. I really didn't like it hardly at all. Sure it was funny, but it really didn't do it for me I guess. I can't really explain why not, I just didn't enjoy it. I think it has something to do with how it was so fast paced that there was never any time to think or enjoy what just happened, stuff just kept happening and none of the characters seemed to pay any attention to what it was that was happening. I also didn't like how I pretty much knew exactly what was going to happen in the end right from the get go. I like movies that actually make me have second guesses as to what's going to happen, even if it is not what I want to have happen. I'd rather have something bad happen then know exactly how the movie will end. Knowing the ending seems to defeat the purpose of watching a movie in my opinion. I knew that Bruce and Hildy were going to end up together, so nothing that happened in the movie really held my attention; it seemed like a bunch of filler really.
So, I guess what I'm really saying is when it comes to any movies that deal with any amount of romance, I like them to be slower; I want to be able to understand what's happening and why it's happening and come up with my own conclusions, and have the ending be more or less of a surprise to me.

4 comments:

Johanna said...

I have to agree with you about His Girl Friday. I felt that the characters were too stereotyped to actually connect with the viewers and didn't come off as sincere. I did like the faster pace of His Girl Friday over the slower pace of Eternal Sunshine, but that is because in general I don't like romance movies and with a faster pace it was less on romance and more on the newspaper storyline. Overall though I felt Eternal Sunshine was the better movie and good for a romance story.

chaska said...

I would agree as well. It was fast and very predictable so we might as well not even watched it. We knew what was going to happen and that's not a very good trait of a movie if you ask me. Now "Eternal Sunshine" was good and I would definitely agree with what you said about it. It was like one of those movies where it shows the surface details of what happened at the beginning and then shows what really happens for the duration of the film.

Matt said...

Stephen! Way to be honest. I am in the other section so I didn't get to see His Girl Friday, but I'll take your advice and stay away. I am so happy about your review of Eternal Sunshine! I truly enjoyed it and for the same reason as you, because its a mind opener for everyone.

Good writing!

Bryan Perkins said...

Although i didn't watch the same movies you did, I agree that a movie that challenges your perceptions is usually a good one. Another nice blog post.